Careers Advice & Guidance
At Ark Helenswood Academy we are committed to helping all students with their career choices. The Careers Education and Guidance programme at Ark Helenswood is designed to help students achieve their potential. In particular, it aims to help them:
- develop their knowledge and understanding of the changing nature of work, learning and careers
- extend their understanding of opportunities in learning and work
- make good use of information and guidance
- develop and use their self-knowledge when thinking about, and making course and other choices
- develop and use the skills they need to review achievements, plan future actions, make decisions, present themselves well and cope with change and transition
At Ark Helenswood, we work with a number of external organisations to provide comprehensive guidance for our students. All of our Year 11 students are given a series of independent and impartial interviews with a dedicated careers adviser. Further to this, we also provide a range of opportunities for students to learn about different university courses, professions and apprenticeships through: a programme of presentations, our careers themed weeks and the fantastic links that have been made with former Helenswood students and industry; who take great pride in returning to school to share their experiences and advice.
We also offer a Careers Fair in which local and national employees come to speak to students about the world of work and potential employment opportunities. We also ask business leaders and local employees to come in and give mock interviews to students as a way of preparing them for the real life situations they may face.
The school has recently reviewed its achievement of 'Investors in Careers' Award, which is a nationally recognised award for having excellent standards in careers education, information, advice and guidance.