Important upcoming events
The Academy will be closing early to students on Thursday 29th September 2016 at 1pm in preparation for the Prospective Parents' Open Evening.
Calendar of Events
Letters to Parents
For all of the latest letters sent home to parents, please visit our letters page.
We use ShowMyHomework which allows both parents and students to track homework online. Visit https://helenswood.showmyhomework.co.uk for more information.
Tools to view homework files
- View Adobe PDF documents: http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/
- View Microsoft Word: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=4
- View Microsoft PowerPoint: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=13
Download our eSafety for Parents booklet for lots of tips and tricks about keeping your children safe online.
What is my child doing online?
- Talking to people
- Using a mobile phone
How do I talk to my child about what they're doing?
- Let them teach you
- Reach an agreement
- Go to the movies
What risks might my child face?
- Inappropriate websites
- Online reputation
- Overuse / addiction
- Viruses, hacking and security
What tools are there to help keep my child safe?
- Technical tools
- Reporting tools
- Education tools
Internet Matters is a non-profit organisation which offers a wide range of advice and support to parents of digitally-minded children. Information like:
- Parental controls for broadband
- Parental controls for mobile phones
- Parental controls for games consoles
- How to deal with online bullying
Extremism and Radicalisation
Following on from the issues in Birmingham, Ofsted are looking carefully at how schools are safeguarding children from extremism and radicalisation. Indicators of vulnerability include:
- the student/pupil is distanced from their cultural /religious heritage and experiences;
- discomfort about their place in society;
- personal Crisis – the student/pupil may be experiencing family tensions;
- a sense of isolation;
- low self-esteem;
- they may have dissociated from their existing friendship group and become involved with a new and different group of friends;
- they may be searching for answers to questions about identity, faith and belonging.
- local community tensions; and
- events affecting the student/pupil’s country or region of origin may contribute to a sense of grievance that is triggered by personal experience of racism or discrimination or aspects of Government policy
- the student/pupil may have perceptions of injustice;
- a feeling of failure;
- rejection of civic life;
Experiences of Criminality
- involvement with criminal groups
- imprisonment; and
- poor resettlement/reintegration on release
Special Educational Needs
- social interaction
- empathy with others
- understanding the consequences of their actions; and
- awareness of the motivations of others
More critical risk factors could include:
- being in contact with extremist recruiters;
- accessing violent extremist websites, especially those with a social networking element;
- possessing or accessing violent extremist literature;
- using extremist narratives and a global ideology to explain personal disadvantage;
- justifying the use of violence to solve societal issues;
- joining or seeking to join extremist organisations; and
- significant changes to appearance and/or behaviour;
- experiencing a high level of social isolation, resulting in issues of identity crisis and/or personal crisis.
Challenging homophobia and celebrating different families and role models in secondary schools, primary schools, colleges and universities through Stonewall's Education for All programme. Working with schools, national and local government, teachers, parents, carers and young people themselves to raise standards.
Parents and carers
Many parents and carers have questions about homophobic bullying and about how best to support their children.
Parent Handbook / Resources
Letters to parents
All Helenswood Academy letters to parents will be published in PDF or Word format at:
- Letter to parents seeking Governor nominations
- Helenswood Academy Parent Governor Election Procedure
- Helenswood Academy Parent Governor Nomination Form
- Helenswood Academy holiday during term time application by parent